Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sundance Film Festival - Day 3

“She was in some Seth Green film…and she’s on TV a lot.” Unfortunately I did not get a peek at the young starlet in question, but simply overhearing this comment on Main Street provided enough pleasure.

My day started with a movie at dawn, no, Sundance does not screen around the clock; I viewed this Sundance film from the comfort of my bed, um, couch that I sleep on. While at Sundance I trade the comforts of a bed or my own room for sharing a two room condo with four film critics. Not only do I save money for Milwaukee Film, and experience the pleasures of sharing a bathroom between five men, I get access to several DVD screener copies of films from the film critics.

The highlight of my viewing day was by far the press & industry screening of “Push: Based on the Novel by Sapphire.” My last minute decision to see the film, instead of going to a panel that I found out I catch online later, was rewarded with what I would consider, even at this early junction, the surprise of Sundance. In the clear favorite for the competition prize, bleak subject matter is given a refreshing and stylish treatment. Read John Anderson’s review in Variety, posted to the Milwaukee Film Facebook group page, could not have said it better myself.

The social highlight was a Milwaukee reunion at the edgier Slamdance Film Festival with Howie Goldklang (Event Producer at Slamdance for the past 8 years and Owner of www.establishmentproductions.com) and Scott Robbe (Executive Director at www.filmwisconsin.net). Scott and I then moved onto dinner and screenings, concluding the evening with a spirited debate over the merits of Sundance documentary “Art & Copy.”

I have started posting photos to the Milwaukee Film facebook group page, check them out if you get a chance.

No comments: